Today’s temperature reached well over 100 degrees. Do you know what that means?! It’s officially summer!!! And what’s the best way to kick off summer? ! Well, my favorite summer cupcakes of course – strawberry lemonade cupcakes with lemon cream cheese frosting to be exact.
Not to toot my own horn or anything, but these are like, the best cupcakes of all time. I try to find any excuse to make them. Baby showers, bridal showers, bunch, birthdays, whatever! They’re perfect because they’re light and airy, not too sweet, and are pretty pink!
Usually, I’m one for making everything from scratch. I’m not a big believer in boxed anything. But this recipe calls for boxed cake mix. I’ve tried making it with my favorite white cake recipe, but you know what? The cake mix version is actually better. Imagine that!
So…if you’re up for it, try them out and let me know what you think!
[ingredients title=”Strawberry Lemonade Cupcake Ingredients”]
- 1 package white cake mix
- 1 package (3 oz) strawberry jello
- 1 cup mashed fresh strawberries
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 4 eggs
- In a large bowl, stir together cake mix and jello mix. Make a well in the center and pour in the mashed strawberries, butter, milk, and eggs. Beat on low speed until blended.
- Line cupcake pan with liners and pour batter to fill prepared cupcake pans 1/3 of the way.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a cake comes out clean.
- Remove from pan and place on racks until completely cool. Frost with Lemon Cream Cheese frosting (see recipe below). Garnish with lemon zest if desired.
[ingredients title=”Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients”]
- 1 8-oz package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese with an electric mixer on medium speed until softened.
- Slowly add the sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice and beat on medium speed until creamy, 2-3 minutes.