I started my new job today. And by started, I mean I sat in a conference room and listened to people talk at me about rules, regulations, benefits, ect. It was soooo boring! So, instead of listening about how to smile and provide good customer service, I was daydreaming about what I would make for dinner.
A while ago, I made Creamy Salsa Verde Chicken Enchiladas. They were a hit in my house, and I have made them several times since. So, in going through the ingredients I currently had in my fridge/cabinets in my head…I realized I had everything to make those, except for tortillas. But no worries, wonton wrappers will do. And they did do! They did excellently! While the creamy salsa verde chicken enchiladas were excellent, they were a sit at the table, knife and fork kinda meal. These Salsa Verde Enchilada Cups on the other hand, were a sit on the couch, watch TV, drink wine and stuff your face with finger food kind of meal.
I probably wouldn’t recommend making these for dinner on the regular. They are just way too easy to eat, and eat, and eat. But, I would recommend them for an easy party appetizer. Or to make and freeze – just take them out of the freezer and bake them at 350 for about 7-10 minutes in small batches when the mood strikes. I ended up making a double batch, and the hubby plans on eating them for lunch for the rest of the week. I love when one cooking attempt ends up resulting in a bunch of meals!
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp garlic, crushed
- 1 cup salsa verde
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 24 wonton wrappers
- salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Press the wonton wrappers into the cups of a mini muffin pan in order to form cups with a wide opening – don’t be afraid to mold the wrappers to the cup a bit, you want a nice cup shape without the edges folding in. Spray the wrappers lightly with cooking spray (I used a coconut oil spray) and sprinkle lightly with salt.
- Bake wrappers for 5 minutes, until edges start turning a golden brown.
- While the wrappers are in the oven, heat a large skillet, and add the olive oil, chopped onion, and garlic. Cook for 30 seconds to a minute, until aromatic. Add the salsa verde and cook on medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in sour cream, half of the cheddar cheese, and half of the cilantro. Stir in chicken (to save time, I used canned chicken from Costco – previously I had cooked and shredded chicken on my own. Both ways were good!)
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of the chicken mixture into the baked wonton bowls. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake on 350 for an additional 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Remove from oven and top with the remaining cilantro.
- Serve and Enjoy!