Chicken Pot pie has always been one of my favorite cold time, winter meals. And, since I’ve been so busy with work recently, I have discovered my new favorite cooking shortcut as well, frozen puff pastry! With that, the Puff Pastry Chicken Pot Pie was born. This meal is pretty simple, not time-consuming at all, and it turned out absolutely delicious!
My one piece of advice, however, is to grease the bowls before putting in your first layer of puff-pastry. Ours got a little stuck at the bottom, and trust me, you want to be able to enjoy every last morsel of puffy deliciousness!
So, on your next chilly night in, pop open that freezer and whip up a Puff Pastry Chicken Pot Pie – it will be your new favorite too!
- 1 Pkg (2 sheets) Puff Pastry, thawed
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1-2 carrots, chopped
- 1-2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 tbsp garlic
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp basil, chopped
- 3 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 lb shredded chicken
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Unfold one pastry sheets on a lightly floured surface. Roll into a 12 inch square, and cut into fourths (I used a pizza cutter). Press the sheets into the bottom of four oven proof dishes.
- Place aluminum foil over top of pastry, bake for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and uncover.
- Heat the butter and garlic in a skillet over medium heat. Add the carrots, onions, and celery and cook for about 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add the flour, stirring as you cook for another 2 minutes or until the flour is golden brown Slowly add in broth and milk and bring to a boil. Cook while stirring until the mixture boils.
- Stir in peas, basil, and parsley. Add chicken. Remove the skillet from the heat.
- Spoon the chicken mixture over pre-baked puff pastry, filling the bowls. Roll out second puff pastry sheet and cut into fourth. Top each bowl of chicken mixture with second puff-pastry square.
- Place bowls on baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes or until the filling is hot and bubbling and the pastry top is golden brown.
- Serve and enjoy!