Have you ever seen “How I Met Your Mother”? If so, you know about Marshall’s “olive theory”. Basically, it goes like this: Marshall hates olives while Lily, his significant other, loves them; therefore, they are the perfect couple. Well, I love olives. Matt hates them. That’s how I knew we would be together forever. Oh, and also – I take my burgers with lettuce and tomato only – Matt calls it “hold the fun”. Matt takes his burgers with everything but lettuce and tomato – I call it “hold the health”. Obviously we were meant to be.
It’s taken years, but Matt will now eat lettuce. He will even order a salad when we go out! However, he still will not eat a cheeseburger if it has been contaminated with lettuce. What a weirdo!
Luckily, he will eat lettuce wraps…one of my favorite appetizers when we go out to eat. So, I decided to make them for a meal at home. I figured peanut chicken lettuce wraps were perfect – filling, not too sweet, and filled with yummy veggies. They also had a little kick from the sriracha (Matt’s favorite topping).
The first time I made these it took me forever to chop all the veggies and cut the chicken up into crazy tiny pieces. Halfway through I had a genius moment and realized using ground chicken and pre-shredded carrots would make my life soooo much easier. The second attempt at making these was so much better! The ground chicken tasted just as delicious and saved me so much prep time – do yourself a favor, save your energy for eating these yummy peanut chicken lettuce wraps!
- 4 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Peanut Butter
- 1 Tbsp molasses
- 2 tsp rice vinagar
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tsp sesame seed oil
- 1 tsp sriracha sauce
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup carrots, shredded
- 1/2 green onion, chopped
- 1 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup water chestnuts, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground chicken
- Peanuts, chopped (optional)
- Sesame seeds, toasted (optional)
- 1 head of lettuce or cabbage, leaves separated
- Combine soy sauce, peanut butter, molasses, vinegar, garlic, sesame oil, sriracha and black pepper. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In a large pan, cook ground chicken thoroughly, breaking into pieces. Add 1/2 of peanut sauce. Simmer for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- In the same pan warm olive oil over medium heat. Add carrots, onion, bell pepper, and water chestnuts. Stir frequently. Remove from heat when cooked, but still a bit crunch. Add chicken and mix thoroughly.
- Top with chopped peanuts or toasted sesame seeds if desired. Serve with lettuce or cabbage.