I’ve been wanting to make these forever. And what better occasion to make strawberry and blueberry mini pies than 4th of July!
These cute, delicious desserts were the perfect post-firework treat!
Just a side note: if you’re planning on doing a lattice pie crust top, count on it taking a serious amount of extra time. I was in the kitchen ALL night! If you want to make it easier on yourself, I would check into a pie top cutter thingiemajig (example: Mini Pie Pans) Because, While some (like me) find weaving mini pie crust after mini pie crust therapeutic, others may just find it plain boring and ridiculous.
[ingredients title=”Pie Dough Ingredients”]
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 12 oz cream cheese, softened
[ingredients title=”Strawberry Filling Ingredients”]
- 4 cups diced strawberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (not packed)
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Dash of cinnamon
[ingredients title=”Blueberry Filling Ingredients”]
- 4 cups blueberries
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp butter
[directions title=”To Prepare the Strawberry Filling”]
- Combine the strawberries, sugars, vanilla and cinnamon in a saucepan and cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Add cornstarch and flour and stir until thickened, take off heat and cool.
[directions title=”To Prepare the Blueberry Filling”]
- Combine the blueberries, sugar, salt, water and lemon juice in a saucepan and cook over medium heat, slowly stirring in the corn starch 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Continue cooking over medium heat and stirring frequently until the mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and add butter, mixing well.
[directions title=”To Prepare the Dough”]
- Using a handheld mixer, mix butter and cream cheese in a large bowl until smooth. Add flour in 3 additions, mixing slowly after each addition until a smooth dough forms.
- Roll dough out on a flat surface as thinly as possible. To asseble the pies, cut into 3-inch rounds and then press into a tin of muffin pan.
- Spoon filling into the crusts. Using 6 strips of dough, weave to form a lattice crust over each pie. Pinch the edges of each strip into the base dough.
- Bake at 350-375 for about 25-30 minutes until pastry is cooked and browned.