Earlier this year, I surprised Matt with tickets to the Sriracha festival in Downtown LA. I really thought I was being like, the best wife ever. Matt loves sriracha, he puts it on everything. I’m pretty sure he would even drink it if I let him. So, of course I was thrilled when I saw that tickets for the festival were going on sale!
We went hungry, as we had been promised that a warehouse of sriracha infused goodies awaited us. Unfortunately, all that awaited us was a huge line, and booth after booth of vendors telling us that they were out of the deliciousness that we had been dreaming of for weeks. Seriously, it was one of the biggest disappointment of my life. And I felt like such a failure – what a terrible wife, promising her husband a wonderful day of sriracha-ness, and then nothing! All we scored was a tiny glass of beer and a sriracha veggie taco (which, I will admit, was terrific). What we missed out on: sriracha cocktails, sriracha hot dogs, sriracha burgers, sriracha korean tacos, sriracha fried rice, you get the idea…
We ended up leaving there totally disappointed. My dreams of a sriracha wonderland were dashed. But, since then I’ve been trying to make it up to the hubby with home-made sriracha treats. One of my favorites thus far has been honey sriracha chicken. It’s sweet, with just a hint of spice, and it’s great served over rice. I’m pretty much a sucker for anything I can dump over a huge bowl of rice. The glaze is so super easy to make, but adding it on at the end and then finishing up by broiling the chicken for a couple of minutes makes it taste like it was served to you at some fancy schmancy restaurant. I forgot to add the sesame seeds and cilantro to my honey sriracha chicken because I was starving and just wanted to get pictures taken and then devour the plate. But please, remember the sesame seeds, they seriously make everything 1000x better!
- 2 lbs chicken breast, cubed
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic, minced or crushed
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- sesame seeds, to garnish
[ingredients title=”For Glaze”]
- 5 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup hone
- 1/8 cup sriracha
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- Juice of 1 lime
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken breast, butter, olive oil, garlic, and salt and pepper. Place chicken pieces onto the prepared baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes, turning halfway.
- While the chicken is in the oven, prepare the glaze. In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour for about a minute, or until lightly browned. Stir in honey, sriracha, soy sauce, and lime juice. Bring mixture to a boil and then simmer for about 1-2 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
- Brush chicken pieces with sriracha glaze and broil for 4-5 minutes or until crispy.
- Top with cilantro and sesame seeds. Serve and enjoy!