My uncle Randy is deathly allergic to eggs. This one time, when I was 5, I made chocolate chip cookies. They had eggs. He took a bite. I will never hear the end of it.
I have been trying to make up for the attempted poisoning ever since. So, Uncle Randy, this recipe is dedicate for you. The best banana bread I have ever made. And it is egg free!!!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, browned (instructions to follow)
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tspn vanilla extract
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 cups mashed banana
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a loaf pan and set aside.
- Brown butter – in a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat, constantly stirring. Continue to stir over heat while butter melts, then foams, and then turns clear. Remove from heat as soon as the butter turns brown. Pour into a large mixing bowl.
- Add buttermilk, sugars, vanilla, and cinnamon. Whisk to combine. Add the banannas and stir.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir until just combined. Do not overmix, a few lumps and bumps are normal.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 40-45 minutes.