I got this cupcake idea from my favorite frozen yogurt place. That’s right, frozen yogurt. 21 choices (http://www.21choices.com/) makes the best Circus Animal Cookie froyo ever. Mmm…I want some right now.
So, when trying to figure out what kind of treat I was going to make for Father’s Day, I used Circus Animal Cookies as my inspiration. What’s better than a sugar cookie cupcake with vanilla fudge frosting? I’m pretty sure nothing is better than that.
These cupcakes were pretty simple to make, and turned out so fun and colorful! Plus, they were delicious!
For the Cupcakes:
2 cups sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
4 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups flour
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup milk
For the Frosting:
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1/2 cup milk
2 cups sugar
dash of salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 to 2 cups powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with paper liners.
2. In a large bowl, mix together sugar and butter. Add eggs, beating in one at a time. Stir in vanilla extract.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together flour and baking powder. Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture. Stir in milk, mixing until just combined.
4. Fill baking cups 2/3 of the way full. Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
1. In a saucepan over low heat, melt butter. Stir in milk, sugar, and salt. Bring to a boil and let it boil for two minutes. Remove saucepan from heat and add vanilla extract. Do not stir.
2. Still not stirring the vanilla extract into the mixture, let it cool completely. When cooled completely, transfer mixture to a large bowl and mix on medium speed for a few minutes, until the frosting has turned into an opaque off-white, don’t worry, it should still be runny and gooey. Gradually add powdered sugar to reach desired consistency (you want it to hold shape, but not be too dry).