Baked pasta dishes are one of my favorite dinner dishes to make…and to eat! They are easy to throw together and pop in the oven, and there is nothing like digging into a hot, bubbling, cheesy pasta dish!
This Cheesy Sausage and Pasta Bake incorporates fun rotini noodles, mozzarella cheese and a jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce. I added a sprinkling of panko crumbs on the top for a yummy crunch!
Really, you could go without the panko crumbs if you don’t have them or can’t find them at them market. But, let me just tell you, this addition really amps up the dish quite a bit. Hubby tries to get away with dishing himself up the top half of the casserole with all the crunchy cheesy pasta, and giving me the bottom half!
You could also use any kind of sausage. I used ground italian chicken sausage – but if you can’t find any feel free to use any kind of sausage removed from the casing.
Anyway you go however, you will end up with a delicious dinner! Oh, and by the way…this one makes fabulous leftovers!
- 1 (1-lb) package pasta, penne or rotini
- 1 (24 oz) jar pasta sauce
- 1 lb ground sausage
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
- In a skillet, cook the sausage, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink, drain.
- In a bowl, combine the pasta, sausage mixture, tomato sauce, and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Transfer to a greased baking dish. Cover and bake at 375° for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and sprinkle with remaining cheese and panko bread crumbs. Bake, uncovered, for an additional 5-8 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve and enjoy!