Rice Krispie treats are the ultimate childhood dessert. There is absolutely nothing better than ooey, gooey, krispie, crunchy hand held treats!
Until now. Because I have found that this grown up version, which appeals to the sophisticated adult taste buds but still hold on to the simplicity of this favorite childhood treat. Browned Butter Vanilla Bean Rice Krisipes are the perfect mix of childhood meets adulthood.
- 6 tbsp butter
- 1/2 vanilla bean
- 1 (10-ounce) bag marshmallows
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups Rice Krispies
- Grease a 9×13 pan, or spray with cooking spray. (I like to use coconut oil, Trader Joe's makes an awesome coconut oil spray.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over low heat. Cut the vanilla bean in half, and scrape the seeds with the back of a knife. Add the vanilla beans to the melted butter. Continue to stir over heat while butter melts, then foams, and then turns clear. This process will take about 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat as soon as the butter turns brown.
- Add the marshmallows. Return saucepan to the stove over low heat and stir continuously until marshmallows are completely melted. Remove from heat.
- Pour in Rice Krispies and stir until cereal is completely coated with marshmallow mix.
- Immediately press into the prepared 9×13 pan. (It helps to have greased hands for this part. You can also press the Rice Krispies treats into the pan using wax paper, but I find that they stick more with this method)
- Let sit for 2 hours at room temperature and then slice into 12 pieces.
- Serve and enjoy!